Anderson County HistoriesThe Black Church

 


 

Taken from the Inventory of Church Archives of Churches 1935

 

 

King David Missionary Bapt. Church
5 mi. W of Anderson, SC on SC highway # 18
Organized 1900

First meetings were held in one-room house about 2 miles south of present building. This was continued for about 5 years. Present building was dedicated in 1917, built in 1905. Wooden frame, gabled belfry, bell, square windows, no gallery, plain door entrance, cemetery with four graves just started 1938, consists of about 2 and 1/2 acres. Church ground 1/2 acre. Building 30 X 40 feet. Capacity about 200. Valued about $1500. First settled clergy Preacher Gary. Tenure about 4 years. They have been encouraged, and are keeping the names and dates of burial of the people buried in their newly started cemetery. 1 vol. 1938. This church began with 12 charter members, they now have 52 members.


New Prospect Bapt. Church
4 mi. E. Townville on SC Highway # 18
Organized August, 1910

Rev. A. B. Martin, Westminister SC

They rented this building from the National Grange for a month and then bought it. Present building dedicated Oct 21, 1910. Unable to ascertain when the building was built. Wooden frame, belfry & bell (erected in 1910) two plain door entrances, cement rock support, capacity 150, size 20 X 40 feet, lot about 1 acre, very small cemetery-few markers. Tablet in brick pillars recently placed bears date Oct. 21, 1910. First settled clergy Rev. W. M. Anderson, tenure 1910 - 1913. Educational background: 7th grade in Five Forks Anderson County. Charter members 28, present membership 52. This building is in the center of Broyles Plantation. Mr. Jim Broyles (white) bought the lot & building and gave it to his tenants so they would not have so far to go to worship. He still owns considerable land in this locality.


Welfare Bapt.
4 mi SE of Anderson on US Hwy 76

1st log cabin date (?) 2nd wooden frame date (?) 3rd 1906 wooden frame 4th 1926. Dedicated 1926. Storm nearly demolished building in 1927. Remodeled in 1933, Wooden frame, bell & belfry, square windows-entrance on side of building. Pulpit under belfry. 6 acres in church & cemetery lots. 2 acres in cemetery lot. Many old graves have no dated markers or recent dates back to 1884. Capacity 300. First settled clergy Frank Morris. This was brought about by the devout members of Neal’s Creek (white) who were interested in their slaves salvation. Jake Scott has been clerk for 38 years, he is also an Ordained Minister & often preaches here.

*This would indicate an organization prior to 1860 - 1865, wouldn’t it?


Mountain Springs Bapt.
6 mi N. Anderson SC on US Hwy #178
Organized about 1874

Rev. H. R. Asbury

First was a log house about 1/2 mile E. of present site, in 1874. Built in 1880 & dedicated in 1880. Wooden frame belfry, no bell, plain square windows, plain doors, building 20 X 35, pulpit in alcove, about 3 acres in church lot, 2 acres in cemetery. Value about $1750. Oldest grave 1891. First settled clergy Rev. Baskin Williams, tenure about 1 year 1874 - 1875. Rev. H. R. Asbury "Manual H. Hill of Wilson's Calvary and Mountain Springs Baptist Churches, Anderson SC March 31, 1937. Mr. William Harper (white) gave 2 acres of land and some on the building of church. These people enjoy the sermons that are sung by their pastor to them. Over half of their time is taken up by singing.


Deep Creek Methodist Episcopal
9 mi W. Anderson on SC Highway # 18
Organized about 1879

1st log 1884 slab benches, 2nd 1897 wooden frame about 20 yards west of present building. Building was dedicated in 1906, built 1904. Wooden frame, belfry, no bell, square plain windows & doors. No SS rooms, no Parsonage. Building sits on very high knoll. No cemetery. Capacity about 200, value $2000. First settled clergy, Rev. S. A. King. These colored people worshipped as a SS for five years from house to house previous to their 1st church building. They formerly had a parsonage but gave it to a school building. The school building is a across the road from the church. The present membership 65. Aaron Carter has been Supt. of SS for 38 years. He was a charter member of the church.


New Hope Missionary Bapt.
3& 1/2 miles W of Belton on SC Hwy # 247 then 1/2 mi N
Organized 1865

1st brush arbor about 2 & 1/2 mi NE of present site. Built in 1868, wooden frame, plain square windows & doors, belfry, no bell, about 30 X 45 feet, capacity 250, about 2 acres in church lot, value $2000. First settled clergy Harrison Watkins, tenure 1865 - 1880. Educational background: Benedict College, Columbia. The older records were destroyed by fire when John Jones’ house burned in 1900. This organization was a direct influence of Mr. Joseph E. Cox (white) who contributed his time and money to help the negro when he was freed. Mr. Cox was then clerk when they could not read. He gave them an acre of land upon which to build. They have a Sunday School at Silver Hill colored school for those who are unable to get far on Sundays. They began in a brush arbor and worshipped here for 3 years.


New Hopewell Missionary Bapt.
2 mi NW of Belton
Organized about 1878

1st log construction 1& 1/2 mile N of present church; second in frame building at present place and built in 1883. Building dedicated 1914, built in 1914. Wooden frame, gable, belfry, no bell, plain square windows & doors. Size 25 X 40 feet, acre in church lot; 1/2 acre in cemetery. Oldest grave marker 1899. First settled clergy Rev. Bob Simmons, tenure 1878 - 1898. This organization is an offspring of Zion Colored Baptist Church, Belton, SC. They first worshipped in a bush arbor for about 2 years. Mr V. Brazeale (white) instructed them in the ways of the constitution of the Baptist Church. Dr. W. C. Brown (white) a large land owner gave them an acre upon which to build their Church.


Bethleham AME Belton
Washington Street
Organized 1897

1st 1897 - 1908, wooden frame 14 ft. wide by 25 feet deep; second 1908 - 1933, wooden frame 20 X 32. The present building was consecrated 1936, built 1933, wooden frame 30 X 50, plain square doors & windows, no bell or belfry, capacity 185. Value of church $950, value of parsonage $ 650, value of lot $125, total value of all property $1725.00. First settled clergy Frank Hurst, tenure 1897 - 1899. They worshipped from house to house prior to formal organization. In summertime they used bush arbor. The present building was rebuilt of material of prior church which was destroyed by a tornado in 1933.


Springfield Bapt. Church Belton
Railroad Street
Organized March 10, 1935

Worshipped in AME Church 1935 - 1936. Consecrated 1936, built 1936. Wooden frame, square windows & doors, no belfry or bell, size of lot 45 X 60, size of building 30 X 42, capacity 140, no parsonage, value of building $950, value of lot$100, total value $1050.00. First settled clergy Rev. Mack Smith, tenure 1935 - 1936. Educational background: Edgefield County School. This organization is an outgrowth of Mt. Zion Colored Baptist Church in Belton, SC. They started as a club and met in the homes of various members prior to the formal organization.


New Broadmouth
Honea Path Rt 1
3 & 1/2 miles NE of Honea Path
Organized 1888

1st building 1888 - 1908, wooden slabs. Consecrated 1904, built 1903. Wooden frame 24 X 36 feet, no belfry or bell, square windows, capacity 125, value of building $900, value of lot $110, total value of all church property $1010.00, no cemetery. First settled clergy Rev. B. L. Lindsey, tenure 1888 - 1891, Educational background: Anderson County Schools. Records prior to 1933 destroyed by a cyclone. Unpublished Historical sketch by Eula Agnew, Rt 2, Honea Path, SC Nov 26, 1939. Named New Broadmouth after Creek which is 3/4 miles south of Church. The "New" is inserted to distinquish from Broadmouth Son Baptist Convention. Members formerly attended Shady Grove (white) & Friendship (white) churches.


St. James Methodist Epis.
Honea Path, SC Rt 1
3 1/2 mi. NE Honea Path
Organized 1910

1st wooden frame 1910 - 1925, consecrated 1st Sunday in May 1926, built 1925, wooden frame 40 X 45 feet, belfry & bell, portico entrance, capacity 200, size of church lot & cemetery 1 acre, value of building $1400.00, value of lot $185, total value of church and all property $1585, oldest markers in cemetery 1912. First settled clergy T. C. Frazier, tenure 1910 - 1912, educational background Anderson City Schools. Records prior to 1938, discarded. This church originated as a result of a revival held in a tent by the first pastor at his locality. It is very near New Broadmouth (colored) church and many of the members were drawn from this church. Charter members 21, present members 80.


Liberty Bapt.
East Greer
Organized 1868

1st log building 1868 - 1871; 2nd wooden slabs 1871 - 1877; 3ed wooden frame 1877 - 1893; 4th wooden frame 1893 - 1910. Built 1910 remodeled 1918 and Sunday School rooms added. Wooden frame, bell, belfry, vestibule entrance, size of building 56 X 60, capacity 375, size of lot 3/4 acre. Value of building $12,500, value of lot $225, total value of all church property $17,750.00. Church has plain square windows & doors. First settled clergy Rev. Samuel Sampson, tenure 1868 - 1871. Educated by white in this community. These were the Broks & the Shirleys mostly. Present membership 450, charter members 14. Liberty Church got it’s name because of the Liberty given the colored just after the war. These people formerly worshipped as slaves in the galleries in the white churches of Honea Path & Broadmouth churches.


Mt. Zion Bapt.
Belton
Organized 1875

1st log cabin 1875 - 1882; 2nd frame 1882 - 1911. Dedicated 1914, built 1911, Sunday School rooms added in 1923. Brick 44 feet X 52 feet deep, vestibule entrance, curved top windows, plain glass windows & doors, capacity 375, value of building $14, 500, value of lot $175, total value of church building & lot $14,675.00. First settled clergy Frank Morse, tenure 1875 - 1879. The land was given to the organization by Dr. Carroll Brown, Senior (white), a wealthy man in the community. The members of this church formerly worshipped in the Belton Baptist (white) church prior to the organization.


St. Paul Colored Methodist Anderson Co.
Honea Path 1 mi SE of town
Organized..Unknown

Wooden frame prior to move up to 1910. Built 1910. Wooden frame, belfry, bell, plain square windows, vestibule under belfry entrance, size of church 30 X 40, capacity 150, value of building $650 (very poor condition) value of lot $150, total value of church property $800.00. First known settled clergy J. D. Allen, tenure 1910 - 1911. Formerly called Chappel Church prior to the move. Then located 3 miles SE of present church. Rev. J. D. Allen was pastor when moved. Former site was in Abbeville County, near Chappels Methodist Church.


Bethel Methodist
Williamston, Main Street
Organized 1881

1st used Log structure from 1881 - 1890. Built 1890. Wooden frame 35 X 50 feet. Triangular shaped to doors & windows, bell and belfry. Value $900, total value of all property $2450. First known settled clergy Rev. J. R. Roseman, tenure 1881 - 1882. This church was nurtured by the influences of the Lander family (white). Dr. W. T. Lander (white) was superintendent of the Sunday School for 2 years 1881 - 1883. Jim? Whitter (white) of Richland County, SC gave then an acre of land upon which to erect their first meeting house.


New Prospect Bapt.
Williamston, Main Street
Organized in 1870

Wooden frame, no ceiling, no belfry, 1871 - 1918. 1st Sunday in August 1919 it was consecrated, built in 1918. Wooden frame, rectangular shape, 2 vestibule entrances at front belfry & bell over left vestibule entrance, colored curved windows, cemetery contains 2 acres, church lot one acre, parsonage , value of church lot $500, value of church building and parsonage $9500. First settled clergy Rev. Frank Morris, tenure 1870 - 1872. Membership 165. The members of this church worshipped with the Methodist church members prior to their organization, after the preacher came they used the Methodist building in the evenings for Sunday worship. The influence of Rev. D. W. Hiott at Big Creek was instrumental in perfecting the organization. Rev. Hiott was a white person at Big Creek.


Pleasant Hill Baptist
Belton, SC 7 mi. SW of Belton
Organized 1873

1st in a brush arbor 1873 - 1879, 2nd in a log structure 1879 - 1890; 3rd in wooden frame 1890. Built 1890, repaired and renovated in 1915, dedicated in 1916. Wooden frame 50 feet long X50 feet wide at widest part to 30 feet wide, T shaped, belfry and bell 2 vestibule entrances, value of church $2650, value of land $150, total value $2800, very tall building. First settled clergy Rev. Stewart Oliver, tenure 1873 - 1875. Membership 451 members. Members of this church formerly worshipped in the Mal’s Creek about 2 miles N of present church. Unlike its, indicated name, it is situated in a valley. It is said that the name came from the hill that approaches the church because the members considered it a "Pleasant Hill."


Newspaper Article Insert

Friday, Oct 21, 1938

Royal Church "Observe Founding"

Joint services commemorating the 50th anniversary of the founding of the Royal Baptist Negro Church and 22 years of service the late Rev. H. C. Anderson will be observed this week, it was announced yesterday.

Friday night is church night. The history of the institution will be given, together with the presentation of members who assisted in forming the organization.

Judge H. H. Watkins will be among those who will address the gathering at this time, it was stated. Several selections of spiritual numbers will also be rendered, and seats will be provided for white persons. A cordial invitation is given to the public to attend.


Cedar Grove Baptist
Belton, SC Rt 1
Organized 1885

1st log 1885 - 1895, 2nd present structure. Built 1895, wooden frame, no belfry, square windows, plain entrance, size of building 40 X 50 feet, value of building $3000, value of land $140, total value of church property $3140. First settled clergy Tony Jones, tenure 1885 - 1886. Present membership 301, charter members unknown. This church is in the heart of the Clinkscales Plantation. One acre of land was given by Mr. Fleet C. Clinkscales (white) in 1890 for church. A good proportion of the members are drawn from the plantation. The organization was encouraged by Mr. Jesse Clinkscales (white).


Good Will Colored Methodist
Main Street, Starr, SC
Organized 1896

Built 1904, wooden frame t shaped, belfry & bell, size of building 25 X 42 feet long, value of building $975, value of lot $100, total value of property $1075.00. First settled clergy Rev. James McElveen, tenure 1898 - 1900. Formerly worshipped in a vacant warehouse 1896 - 1904 when the weather was inclement. Worshipped in a brush arbor when the weather was suitable. The organization came into being after the railroad was built and the population became more dense in this locality.


St. Paul African Methodist
1 mi. N of Iva
Organized 1913

1st wooden structure 1914 - 1935. Dedicated July 1939, built 1935, wooden structure 25 X 30, square windows and doors, belfry and bell, value of building $875, value of lot $75, total value of property $950.00. Capacity 175. First settled clergy Rev. S. B. Rucker, tenure 1913 - 1914. Educational background: Richland County High Schools. Charter members 5, present membership 28. The negroes in this community felt a need of a church of this denomination and set about to organize it. The community had grown but there was no church.


Cross Roads Methodist
2 mi. SW Iva on SC Hwy #184
Organized 1885

1st in Brush Arbor; 2nd 1886 - 1926 in wooden frame (it fell down). Built 1926,wooden frame 30 X 40 rectangular shaped, no bell, belfry, plain square windows and doors, capacity 175, value of building $850, value of lot $125, total value of church property $975.00. First settled clergy James Shuler, tenure 1885 - 1887. Present membership 27. Named Cross Roads because it is located near the road crossing. The membership of this church is very scattering over the entire community.


Mountain View Methodist
6 mi. W of Iva
Organized 1881

1st building 1881 - 1883, 1 mile east of present building (burned). Built 1933, wooden frame 30 X 40, belfry, plain doors and windows, capacity 250, value of building $950, value of lot $50, total value of property $1000.00. First settled clergy Reuben Chandler, tenure unknown. Present membership 61. Mountain View was previously named Old Savannah 1881 - 1887. The members of this congregation worshipped at Old Smyra in Towndsill? about 8 miles East of present building prior to this arm being organized.


Shiloh Bapt
10 mi. SE of Anderson Hwy # 28
Organized 1881

1st log structure 1881 - 1886; 2nd 1886 - 1897, built 1897 remodeled in 1925. Wooden frame L shaped, 30 X 45, plain square windows and doors, belfry and bell, capacity 210, value of building $2300, value of 2 acres $200, total value of church property $2500.00. First settled clergy Rev. Frank Morris, tenure 1881 - 1885, present membership 155. The members of this organization worshipped for a period of about 6 years without a regular clergyman to serve them. They were served by visiting clergyman. One acre of land was given to the church by Mr. Jesse McGee and one acre was given by Mr. Alonzo McGee, both whites and large land owners in this community.


Bethleham Colored Methodist Epis.
8 mi. South East on SC hwy. # 28 Anderson, SC
Organized 1875

1st 2 miles North of present building in dwelling house, 1875 - 1882; 2nd at present cite in slab structure 1882 -1912; 3rd 1912 wooden frame at present cite. Dedicated 1920 built in 1912 and remodeled in 1923. Wooden frame t shaped 25 X 40 feet, no belfry or bell, plain square doors and windows. Capacity 250, value of building $1100, value of lot $100, total value of church property $1200. First settled clergy Rev. J. B. Jones, tenure 1875 - 1877. The land for this church was given By Mr.. Charlie Mattison (white) it consists of one acre. This organization at one time had a membership of 175, but for unknown reasons it has fallen off. There has been only 2 meetings this year of the congregation.


Pleasant Grove Baptist
Rt. 1 4 mi. East of Starr
Organized 1868

1st Brush Arbor (date unknown) 2nd in Hebron White Methodist (across the road); 3rd 1876 - 1887 in log structure; 4th 1887 - 1899 in wooded frame. Built 1899 and remodeled in 1914. Wooden frame, plain windows and doors, belfry and bell, T (upside down), value of building $3000, value of 4 acres $300, total value of church property $3300.00. Oldest cemetery marker 1896. First settled clergy Rev. Phillip Morris, tenure unknown. Charter members unknown, present membership 470. This church was named after the large grove of trees on which it still sits. It has still the influence of the white church in the community. It is the leading rural colored church of this denomination in the County. A separate organization from the church is the Burial Aid.


Jefferson Chapel AME
8 mi. S. of Anderson on Rt. 4
Organized 1883

1st 1883 - 1912 in wooden frame on present site. Built 1912 and dedicated 1916. Wooden frame 25 X 35, plain square doors and window, no belfry or bell. Capacity 185, value of building $950, value of lot $100, total value of church property $1050.00. First settled clergy Rev. W. H. Copeland, tenure 1883 - 1886. The members of this organization mostly were formerly members of Browno AME church in Abbeville County. The land for the church was given by Mr. James A. Drake (white), a large land owner in the community.


Mt. Siani Methodist
8 miles West of Anderson on US Hwy. #29 Rt 4
Organized 1870

1st brush arbor 1870 - 1871; 2nd log structure 1871 - 1875; 3rd in a wooden frame at present site 1875 - 1900. Built 1900, wooden frame 42 X 68, vestibule entrance under belfry; belfry and bell, plain square windows and doors. Capacity 450, value of church building $750, value of 10 acres in church grounds $800, value of parsonage $750, total value of church property $2300.00. First settled clergy Henry Fletcher, tenure 1870 - 1872. Present membership 165. This organization formerly had the Baptist (Mt Olive) worshipping with them 1870 - 1871. The preachers would deliver their sermons and then stand in the opposite corners to receive members by opening the doors of the church. Mt. Siani is the Mother of New Harmony Colored about 4 miles north of Siani.)


New Harmony Methodist
6 mi. W. of Anderson Rt. 4 on Hwy 80
Organized 1895

1st in Brush Arbor 1895; 2nd in wooden frame 1895 - 1931. Built in 1931 and dedicated 1936. Wooden frame 35 X 40, plain doors and windows, bell and belfry, vestibule entrances under belfry. Capacity 275. Value of building $1500, value of 2 acres $150, total value of property $1650. First settled clergy Rev. York Goodlet, tenure 1895 - 1896. Present membership 105, charter members 24. This church began as an arm of Mt Siani CME, 4 miles south. They worshipped as such for about 4 years prior to their formal organization and separation.


Mt. Olive Colored Bapt.
7 mi. W of Anderson Rt 4, on US Hwy. 29
Organized 1871

1st log structure 1871 - 1875 with Mt. Siani Colored Methodist, 2nd 1875 - 1895 in wooden frame at present site. Built in 1896, remodeled and repaired in 1921. Wooden frame 30 X 40 feet. Vestibule entrance under belfry, bell and belfry, plain square windows and doors. Value of church lot $250, value of church building $1750, total value of $2000. Capacity 225. First settled clergy Phillip Morris, tenure 1871 - 1872. This body formerly worshipped with the CME at Mt. Siani, 1870 - 1871. The preachers of the two churches would preach their sermons and afterwards they would stand in opposite corners of the church and open the doors of the church for new members. The new members would choose the church in this way which they desired to become affiliated with.


Springfield Methodist
Rt. 3 Anderson, 14 miles W. of Anderson
Organized 1890

1st wooden frame 1890 - 1895. Built 1895 and dedicated in 1902. Wooden frame 30 X 45 feet, plain square windows and doors, no belfry. Capacity 225, value of building$700, value of church grounds?. First settled clergy Rev. Sippio Green, tenure 1890 - 1892. Present membership 50, charter members 22. The members of this organization withdrew from Mt. Siani because of the distance between them and Mt. Siani. They would worship in a brush arbor and vacant houses in inclement weather when it was inconvenient for them to go about 10 miles to Mt. Siani.


Mt. Moriah Baptist
3 mi. N. of Starr Rt. 1 on SC Hwy. # 81
Organized 1880

1st wooden frame 1880 - 1899, 2nd wooden frame 1899 - 1918. Built 1920 and dedicated May 13, 1923. Wooden structure (upside down) L shaped. Bell and belfry, plain windows and doors, vestibule entrance. Capacity 425, value of building $6500, value of church grounds $500, total value of church property $7000. First settled clergy Jim Williford, tenure 1880 - 1881. Present membership 44, charter members 18. The members of this church worshipped without a formal organization for nearly 10 years. They depended upon various members of their body to conduct the services. An organization was precipitated by the death of one of their followers and the lack of a suitable place for burial and this location was purchased and the organization was formed.


Mt Hermon Negro Baptist
9 mi. SW of Anderson SC Rt. 4
Organized 1898

1st in a wooden frame 1898 -1934. Built 1934, dedicated 1938. Rock structure with arched alcove entrance, arched windows, belfry and bell. Size of building 24 X 36. Capacity 165. Value of building $10,000, value of grounds$100, total value of church property $10,100.00. First settled clergy Perry Thompson, tenure 1898 - 1902. Present membership 30, charter members unknown. The members of this organization withdrew from Mt. Olive (colored Baptist) upon a slight provocation and organized here. The land was given by Mr. William McCowan (white) a large land owner in this settlement.


Generostee Negro Baptist
16 miles SW Anderson, Starr Rt. 1
Organized 1884

1st log 1884; 2nd wooden frame 1884 - 1939, built 1939, wooden frame 34 X 44, plain square windows and doors, no belfry or bell. Capacity 325, value of building $3000, value of land $100, total value $3100.00. First settled clergy Bell Lindsey, tenure 1884 -1886. This church was named Generostee because it is near Generostee Creek.


Evergreen Negro Methodist Epis.
12 mi. SW of Anderson, Starr Rt. 1
Organized 1883

Formerly worshipped in dwelling house 1883 - 1885. Built 1885. Wooden frame 38 X 44, built in portico, bell and belfry , plain square windows and doors. Capacity 325, value of building $1600., value of land $200, total value of church property $1800.00. First settled clergy Rev. Sam Chandler, tenure 1883 - 1884. Present membership 193. This church was named after the Evergreen Plantation. 3 acres of land was given by Mrs. Elizabeth Rainey (white).


Wilson’s Creek No. 1 Baptist
5 mi. E. of Iva, SC
Organized 1875

1st log structure about 3 miles South of present site 1875 - 1881; 2nd wooden frame in same place 1881 - 1892; 3rd wooden frame at present site. Built 1939, dedicated 3rd of January 1939. Wooden frame, rectangular shaped 32 X 50 feet, plain doors and windows, no belfry or bell, capacity 300. Value of building $2000, value of lot $250, total value of church property $2250.00. First settled clergy Phillip Morris, tenure 1875 - 1876. Present membership 147, charter members 23. This church was named after the creek nearby. The organization worshipped as Wilsons Creek until the church was destroyed by fire in 1892, then part of the members built them a church in Abbeville County and these members built one in Anderson County. One in Anderson County is named Wilson’s Creek No. 1. The one on Abbeville County is named Wilson’s Creek No. 2.


Pleasant View Baptist
4 mi. NW of Piedmont, on SC #81
Organized 1890

1st wooden frame 1890 - 1902. Built 1902, dedicated 1910 and remodeled 1920. Wooden frame t shaped, bell and belfry, windows sharpe angled thus; A , vestibule entrances. Capacity 225. Value of building $2400, value of lands $250, total value $2650.00. Oldest marker 1893. First settled clergy Robert Simmons, tenure 1890 - 1893. Present membership 76, charter members unknown. This church was named Pleasant View because it is in a place to get a pleasant view over the valley of the Saluda River.


New Mt. Pisgah Bapt.
18 mi. NW of Anderson
Organized 1879

1st 1879 - 1887 in log structure in present site; 2nd 1887 - 1907 wooden frame; 3rd 1907 - 1939 wooden frame. Built 1939, consecrated June 28, 1939. Wooden frame, oblong shaped 34 X 42, no bell or belfry. Plain square doors and windows. Capacity 325. Value of building $2800, value of lot $200, total value of property $3000.00. First settled clergy Rev. Aaron Walker, tenure 1879 - 1882. Present membership 162. This church was named New Mount Pisgah after the white peoples church Mt. Pisgah about one and one half mile east. The members worshipped at Mt. Pisgah prior to their organization.


Fairfield Methodist (C.M.E.)
18 miles N. Anderson
Organized 1880

1st 1880 - 1892 in small wooden frame at present site; 2nd 1892 - 1922 wooden frame at present site. Built 1911, dedicated 1915 and remodeled 1940. Wooden frame 28 X 40, portico entrance, bell and belfry, plain square windows and doors. Capacity 300. Value of building $2300, value of lot $365, total value of church property $2665.00. Oldest marker 1893. First settled clergy Rev. J. B. Jones, tenure 1880 - 1882. Present membership 192, charter members unknown. The name of Fairfield came as a result of the church being built in a large plain of Fairfield. The influence of Mt. Pisgah (white) church has been conspicuous.


Evergreen Negro Bapt.
10 mi. NE Anderson
Organized 1880

1st 1880 - 1886 in log building; 2nd in wooden frame 1886 - 1909 in wooden frame at present site. Built 1910, wooden frame 28 X 40 t shaped, vestibule entrance, arched windows, capacity 400, value of church building $2000, value of church lot $250, total value of property $2250.00. Oldest marker 1886. First settled clergy Rev. Milton Williams, tenure 1880 - 1883. Charter members unknown, present membership 152. This church named Evergreen because of the woods surrounding. The land was given by Mr. John Harper (white) a large land owner in this community.


Bethel Methodist
Green Street (no number)
Organized 1870

1st 1870 - 1878 in private house 100 yards N of present site; 2nd 1878 - 1902 wooden frame at present site. Built 1902 and remodeled 1917. Wooden frame 36 X 48, bell and belfry, plain square windows and doors, vestibule entrances. Capacity 325. Value of building $3600, value of parsonage $2800, value of church grounds $325, total value $6725.00. First known clergy Richard Fletcher, tenure 1878 - 1882. Charter members unknown, present membership 149. This organization sprang from Kings Chappel AME about 150 yards NE of this church. Prior to worshipping at Kings Chappel AME, the members worshipped in the MES Church at Pendleton.


New Mt. Grove Baptist
5 mi. W. of Piedmont, SC
Organized 1888

Lapsed 1938 - 1939, reorganized August 19, 1939. 1st worshipped 1888 - 1890 in school house across road; 2nd 1890 - 1906 in wooden frame at present site. Built 1907. Very small wooden frame 18 X 26, plain square windows and doors, no ceiling, no bell or belfry. Capacity 50. Value of building $200, value of lot $35, total value of church property $235.00. First settled clergy W. L. Mattison, tenure 1888 - 1889. Charter members unknown, present membership 12. This church is more of a family church made up of a family of Johnson’s and their kin. It lapsed in 1938 but was revived in 1939 by Rev. J. R. Hammond, the present pastor.


Wilson Calvary Bapt.
Corner of Lee & Stephens Street
Organized 1911

1st 1911 - 1918 in wooden frame on Cherry Street, Anderson, SC, about 200 yards NE of present site. Built in 1918, consecrated in 1918, 6 Sunday School rooms in 1924. Wooden frame English gothic style windows, vestibule entrance, bell and belfry. Capacity 375. Value of church building $3400, value of church lot $200, total value of church property $3600.00. First settled clergy Rev. Dennis Glen, tenure 1911 -1913, Educational background: Anderson City High School. Charter members 4, present membership 270.

Published histories or sketches: Manual or Pastoral Experiences 1930 - 1934; 1935, 1936, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1940, at Rev. H. R. Asbury; Pastor, 418 White St., Anderson, SC, (See "Manuel" 1940 attached). First organized as Calvary Baptist Church 1911 -1914. Name changed to Wilson’s Calvary in honor of President Woodrow Wilson when he assumed office in 1914.


Wilson Calvary Bapt.
Corner of Lee & Stephens Street
Organized 1911

1st 1911 - 1918 in wooden frame on Cherry Street, Anderson, SC, about 200 yards NE of present site. Built in 1918, consecrated in 1918, 6 Sunday School rooms in 1924. Wooden frame English Gothic style windows, vestibule entrance, bell and belfry. Capacity 375. Value of church building $3400, value of church lot $200, total value of church property $3600.00. First settled clergy Rev. Dennis Glen, tenure 1911 -1913, Educational background: Anderson City High School. Charter members 4, present membership 270. Published histories or sketches: Manual or Pastoral Experiences 1930 - 1934; 1935, 1936, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1940, at Rev. H. R. Asbury; Pastor, 418 White St., Anderson, SC, (See "Manuel" 1940 attached). First organized as Calvary Baptist Church 1911 -1914. Name changed to Wilson’s Calvary in honor of President Woodrow Wilson when he assumed office in 1914.


Rock Hill Bapt.
5 mi. SW of Anderson, SC
Organized 1884

1st small wooden frame about 2? miles E. of present site, 1884 - 1893; 2nd wooden frame at present site 1893 - 1906 (destroyed by storm). Built 1906 and dedicated 1909. Wooden frame 34 X 48, bell and belfry. Capacity 275, value of building $2750, value of land $250, total value of church property $3000.00. First settled clergy Rev. Perry Thompson, tenure 1884 - 1886. Charter members unknown, present membership 150. This church is named after the Rock hill near which it was organized. The members felt the need of a church of this denomination in this community.


New Prospect No. 2 Bapt.
9 mi. West of Anderson
Organized 1893

1st 1893 - 1895 in tenant house 100 yards N. of present site. Built 1895, wooden frame 28 X 36, plain windows and doors, bell and belfry. Capacity 50, value of building $200, value of lot $75, total value of church property $275.00. First settled clergy R. D. Bell, tenure 1893 - 1894. Charter members 8, present membership 25. This church is named New Prospect No. 2 to distinguish it from the New Prospect No. 1 and New Prospect White church about 5 miles NW of this church.


Fair View A.M.E.
14 mi. NW of Anderson
Organized 1885

1st worshipped 1885 - 1887 in tenant house about 75 yards north of present site; 2nd 1887 - 1933 in wooden frame at present site. Built in 1933 and dedicated June 1938. Wooden frame 38 X 48, plain square windows and doors, belfry and bell. Value of building $1500, value of lot $75, total value of church property $1575.00. Capacity250. First settled clergy Rev. J. P. Sanders, tenure 1885 1886. Charter members unknown, present membership 51. The desire of a group of AME members who had to go 6 miles to Pendleton to worship, to have a church of this denomination nearby, led to the organization of this church.


Sweet Canaan Bapt.
4 mi. West of Piedmont
Organized 1871

1st log structure 1871 - 1879, wooden frame 1879 - 1901. Built 1901, dedicated 1906 and remodeled 1918. Wooden frame t shaped, belfry and bell, plain square windows and doors. Capacity 179, value of building $1000, value of lot $100, total value of church property $1100.00. First settled clergy Charles Cleswell, tenure 1883 - 1886. Charter members unknown, present members 151. The lack of a place to worship by these colored people nearby, caused these people to establish this church. The nearest colored church was New Mt. Pisgah about 8 miles SW.


Sunset Forest Bapt.
3 mi. West of Anderson
Organized 1912
Lapsed in 1938

Built in 1912, wooden frame , plain windows and doors, capacity about 150. Value $300. This building is now used as a barn for storing forage.. First settled clergy was R. D. Glen, tenure 1912 - 1913. Educational background Anderson Colored High School. Present membership: none, Charter members unknown. The location of this church was given by Mr. J. J. Fretwell and subsequently named Sunset Forest in honor of the Fretwell place adjacent to which it was located. The members scattered to Varneses churches after disorganization. Rev. W. L. Earle was last preacher.


Ebenezer Bapt.
12 mi NW of Anderson
Organized 1881

First, private home about 3/4 miles west of present site 1881 - 1882; 2nd 1882 - 1903 at present site. Built 1903, dedicated 1905 and remodeled 1918 and 1927. Wooden frame 40 X 52, plain square windows and doors, belfry and bell, vestibule entrance. Capacity 350. Value of building $1500, value of grounds $275, total value of church property $1775.00. First known settled clergy Milford Lindsey, tenure 1881 - 1884. Charter members unknown, present membership 184. The lack of good words to a place of worship for the inhabitants of this community led to the desire for a place of worship.


Thompson Centineal Methodist
201 W. Market Street
Organized 1868

1st 1870 - 1911, wooden frame (remodeled in 1883, 1897). Built 1911, dedicated 1911, and 6 Sunday School rooms were added in 1923. Brick structure, English Gothic style, vestibule entrance, bell and belfry. Value of church building $22,500, value of parsonage $2250, total value of church property $22,500.00. First settled clergy Rev. James Roseman, tenure 1868 - 1875. Charter members unknown, present membership 266. Published histories or historical sketches: Historical sketch in "Program and Directory." Cora Lee Caldwell a Brief History of Thompson Centeniel ME Church, Anderson, SC. Greenwood, SC, 1938. The members of this organization began meeting under a large oak tree about 1 block west of present site. It was named after a Mrs. "Belle" Thompson who gave them a part of their common set.


Salem Presbyterian (P.C.U.S)
205 West Benson
Organized 1890

1st 1890 - 1892, worshipped in a mission school on S. McDuffie Street 3 blocks E. of present site. Built 1892, dedicated 1896. Brick structure 36 X 40 ft. Belfry and bell, English Gothic windows and doors, vestibule entrance under belfry. Capacity 275. Value of building $3000, value of lot $200, total value of church property $3200.00. First settled clergy Rev. John Peter Foster, tenure 1890 - 1920. Educational background: Howard University (dates unknown). Charter members 12, present members 82. This church began as a mission school for the colored about 15 years before the organization really took place. They were educated by the white missionaries and were taught by them. This is the only colored Pres. Church in this county as far as I know.


Salem Negro Baptist
6 mi. NE of Anderson
Organized 1895

1st wooden frame about 150 yards NW of present site 1895 - 1936. Built 1936, dedicated Fall of 1936. Wooden frame oblong shaped 28 X 42, belfry and bell, portico entrance. Capacity 300. Value of church $2000, value of lot $100, total value of property $2100.00. First settled clergy Rev. John Chandler, tenure 1895 - 1900. Charter members 21, present membership 160. The members of this church formerly belonged to Evergreen (colored) Baptist (about 4 miles NW) but withdrew when offered or given a place to worship by Mr. Quince Hammond (white) a large land owner in this settlement.


St. Peter African Methodist Episcopal
6 mi. NW of Piedmont on SC Hwy. # 81
Organized 1886

1st log structure 1886 - 1892; 2nd wooden frame 1892 - 1912. Built 1912, wooden frame 34 X 40, plain windows and doors. No belfry or bell. Capacity 225. Value of building $950, value of lot $100, total value of church property $1050.00. First settled clergy Rev. Francis Brown, tenure 1886 -1889. Charter members 14, present membership 39. This church got it’s name St Peter because of the favoritism shown this part of the bible by the first preacher, Rev. Brown.


Mt. Sinai (A.M.E.-Negro)
2 mi. West of Piedmont
Organized 1889

1st in vacant house 1890 - 1898. Built in 1898, wooden frame 34 X 40, plain square windows and doors, no belfry. Value of building $1300, value of land $ 150, total value of church property $1300.00. First settled clergy Francis F. Brown, tenure 1889 til end of church year. Charter members 10, present membership 38. This church was organized by Rev. Brown as an outpost of St. Peter. He did this as a Missionary work. The cotton mill was being constructed and many of his members came from this work.


Mt. Abel Baptist
11 mi. N. of Anderson
Organized 1870

1st log structure 1870 - 1875; 2nd wooden frame 1875 - 1892; 3rd wooden frame 1892 - 1906, all at present site. Built in 1906 and dedicated in 1910. Remodeled in 1930 and again in 1939. Wooden frame tshaped, bell and belfry, plain square doors and windows. Capacity 350. Value of building $2000, value of church grounds $250, total value of church property $2250.00. Oldest marker 1903. First settled clergy Rev. Baskim Williams, tenure 1870 - 1875. Charter members unknown, present membership 238. The members of this organization formerly worshipped at six and twenty (white) Baptist. They were taught the rudiments in their organization by Rev. James Carpenter (white) who would administer to their religious needs. The land was given them for a church by Michael Melton (white).


New Light Baptist
7 mi. NW of Anderson
Organized 1887

1st in a log structure 1887 - 1897, built 1897 wooden structure oblong shaped 36 X 42, belfry and bell, vestibule entrance, plain square doors and windows. Capacity 250. Value of building $2750, value of lot $150, total value of church property $2900.00. First settled clergy Albert Lewis, tenure 1887 (one year). Charter members unknown, present membership 75. This organization is the mother church of Holly Springs Colored Baptist and represents the members who did not withdraw to organize that church.


Holly Springs Baptist
7 mi. NW of Anderson
Organized 1887

1st in school house (since then destroyed) 50 yards N. of present site 1887 - 1890. Built in 1890, wooden frame t shaped, bell and belfry, vestibule entrance, plain square windows and doors. Oldest cemetery marker 1901. Capacity 250. Value of building #3250, value of lot $350, total value of church property $3600.00. First settled clergy Frank Morris, tenure 1887 - 1888. Charter members unknown, present membership 60. This organization came out of the New Light Church about 200 yards west of this church. The land was given by Robert Adger (white).


Oak View Baptist
2 mi. NW of Iva, SC
Organized 1911

1st 1911 - 1912 under a brush arbor. Built 1912 and dedicated 1917, wooden structure 28 X 36, no bell or belfry, plain square windows and doors. Capacity 175. Value of building $700, value of land $100, total value of church property $800.00. First settled clergy Rev. R. D. Glenn, tenure 1911 - 1912. Educational background: Anderson County Schools. Charter members unknown, present membership 26. This church was named Oak View because it is situated near a large oak grove.


Holly Creek Baptist
4 mi. SW of Starr
Organized 1885

1st in log structure about 200 yards W. of present site 1885 - 1895. Built 1895 and dedicated in 1901, wooden frame oblong shaped 30 X 42, plain square windows and doors, no bell or belfry. Capacity 200. Value of building $1675, value of lot $125, total value of church property $1800.00. First settled clergy James Harris, tenure 1885 - 1886. Charter members unknown, present membership 106. This church is the heart of the McGee Plantation. The land was given by Mr. Willis McGee for the benefit of his tenants (he was white). It got it’s name from the nearby Holly Creek.


Kings Chapel A.M.E.
High Street
Organized 1871

1st 1871 - 1873 in private home about 300 yards west of present site; 2nd 1873 - 1889 in store room in town. Dedicated in 1892 and built in 1889 wooden frame 38 X 48, bell and belfry, plain square doors and windows, vestibule entrance. Capacity 325. Value of building $3400, value of parsonage $100, value of grounds $300, total value of church property $4800.00. Oldest grave marker 1872. First settled clergy Rev. Silas H. Jefferson, tenure 1871 - 1888. Charter members 22, present membership 161. This church is the mother church of Bethel Methodist (Colored) . It’s organization was precipitated by the refusal of the Pendleton Methodist Church (white) to "funeralize" a colored negro. The colored immediately organized this church.

 

 

 


Last Update: 10/2008
Web Author: EE Vaughn
Copyright 2001 by Pastense2 - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED