Charleston County Histories
Taken from the Inventory of Church Archives of Churches 1935
St. Marks AME
Built 1910 and dedicated 1910. A rectangular frame building, a porch across the front supported by four small columns, 2 front doors, a belfry on the gable, and 1 bell. First settled clergy Rev. J. L. James, tenure 1910 - 1912, educational background: Grammar School.
Calvary Prostestant Epis.
Corner Beaufort and Wilson Sts.
Built in 1848 and consecrated 1848. A brick building , rough cast, colonial style of architecture, no belfry. First settled clergy Rev. Paul Trapier, tenure 1848 -1856. In memoriam: Rev. Jacob V. Welch, late minister of the congregation, A man holy and humble of heart, manifested Christ by precept, example, by labor abundant, intiring, fruitful. A catechist in 1845. Made deacon March 11, 1856. Ordained priest March 10, 1876. In charge of Calvary Church 1876 - 1890. Entered into rest Jan 5, 1890, aged 73 years 13 days. "I would not live always, for me to live in Christ, is to die in gain." Erected by the congregation.
First church was bought from a white congregation in 1903. Dedicated Aug 15, 1920, remodeled 1920. A rectangular frame building, the front has a peak in the middle, no belfry or bell. First settled clergy Rev. J. J. Lucas, tenure 1903 - 1906. Educational background: Grammar school.
Salem Missionary Baptist
201 Line Street
Built 1910, dedicated 1911. A rectangular porch or belfry. First settled clergy J. T. Thomas, tenure 1910 1912, educational background: Grammar School.
Salem Missionary Baptist
First building was a small rectangular frame building built 1915 and dedicated 1915. It burned in 1930. Rebuilt in 1931 and dedicated in 1932. A rectangular frame building a belfry on the gable and one bell, a small porch. First settled clergy Rev. Demus Washington, tenure 1890 - 1896. Another entry states that Rev. Murchison, tenure 1890 - 1895 was the first settled clergy.
Salem Presbyterian USA
First building a rectangular frame building was blown down in a storm in 1916. Rebuilt 1920 and dedicated in 1920. A rectangular frame church with two belfrys one bell, a porch across the front. First settled clergy Rev. Ishmael Moultrie, tenure 1880 - 1885.
Hebron Presbyterian USA
The first building was a small rectangular frame building. Built in 1915 and dedicated in 1916. A large rectangular frame building no porch or belfry. A gallery on two sides and front lighted by an upper row of windows. First settled clergy Rev. Ishmael Moultrie, tenure 1885 - 1889.
Promise Land Reformed Epis.
A rectangular frame building, no porch or belfry. Built 1910 and dedicated 1910. A rectangular frame building, a small porch, no belfry. First settled clergy Rev. Stephen Bash?, tenure 1880 - 1885.
No previous building but it has been repaired at different times. Built 1867 and dedicated 1868. A rectangular frame building with a steep pitched roof, no belfry or bell. First settled clergy Rev. B. F. Adams, tenure 1867 - 1869. Prior to 1865 the negroes worshipped with the whites but in 1867 they asked for letters of dismissal and 120 were given letters and organized Plymouth Church. A sketch of Plymouth Church by Rev. C. S. Ledbetter Charleston, SC 1924.
St. Paul Missionary Bapt.
Cor. Rutledge and Moultrie
Built 1895 and dedicated 1895. A rectangular frame building, no porch or belfry. First settled clergy Rev. Wallace Williams, tenure 1895 - 1900. Educational background: Grammar school.
Gethsemane Missionary Baptist
Built in 1917 and dedicated in 1917. A rectangular frame building, belfry at one corner, gallery on two sides, front lighted by an upper row of windows. First settled clergy J. D. Dinkins, tenure 1917 - 1922, educational background: High School, Orangeburg.
Church of God, Holiness
210 Line Street
Built 1928, dedicated 1928. Rectangular brick building, no porch or belfry. First settled clergy Rev. Elias Johnson, tenure 1928 - 1937, educational background: Grammar School.
The first church was a rectangular building, blown down in a storm in 1911. Rebuilt in 1913, dedicated 1913. A large rectangular frame building, a porch across the front supported by four columns, a belfry at one corner, one bell. A gallery across the ___. Front lighted by small windows, three front doors. First settled clergy Joseph White, tenure 1880 - 1885, educational background: Grammar School.
Edisto Presbyterian USA
Built 1865, dedicated 1865. Rectangular frame building with a recessed porch, two octagonal belfrys on front corners, no bell. First settled clergy Rev. Ishmael Moultrie, tenure 1865 - 1870, Educational background: Could read a little.
766 Meeting Street
Built 1905, dedicated 1905. A large rectangular frame building, a porch across the front supported by four columns, an octagonal belfry, no bell. First settled clergy Rev. Williams, tenure 1905 - 1907. Educational background: Grammar School.
Mt. Zion AME
Bought from the Pres. known as Zion Pres. Church in 1882, dedicated 1882. Brick, rough cast, colonial style of architecture. First settled clergy Rev. N. B. Sterrett, tenure 1882 - 1886. Educational background unknown. The church had a cupola which was blown off in storm of 1893, crushing the roof and injuring the organ.
Zion Presbyterian USA
123 Calhoun Street east of Meeting
Built in 1859, dedicated 1859. Brick rough cast, a rectangular church with high steps leading to the porch on each front corner. First settled clergy Rev. John L. Girardeau, D.D., tenure 1859 - 1871, Educational background: School of the German Friendly Society, Charleston SC, and the College of Charleston. Published histories/Sketches: A history of the work of the Presbyterian Church Among the Negroes in the USA, by Jessie Belmont Barber, New York 1936. This is the oldest Negro Presbyterian Church in the south.
A history of the work of the Presbyterian Church Among the Negroes in the United States of America.
Jesse Belmont Barber, published by the Board of Natural Missions of the Presbyterian Church in the USA, 156 Fifth Ave, New York p.23, "Negro Presbyterian Churches and Members", "As far as can be verified, there was only one Negro Presbyterian Church in the South at the beginning of the Civil War and the circumstances of its origin and life make an unusual story. In 1846, Dr. John B. Adger, pastor of the Second Pres. Church of Charleston, South Carolina, conceived the plan of holding separate services for the negro slaves, and the Incessment of his church was taken over for the purpose. The idea proved to be popular, large numbers attended the services and Sunday schools and prayer meetings were conducted regularly at various points throughout the city. The next year the congregation of the Second Pres. Church decided to erect a house of worship for the use of the slaves. This was done and in 1850 the building, a "T" shaped structure was dedicated. Shortly afterwards, Dr. Adger resigned his pastorate to accept a professorship in the Theological Seminary at Columbia, SC, and John L. Girardeau came to the Second Pres. Church, assuming charge at the same time of the negro Church. Under the preaching of Dr. Giradeau, who was reputed to be one of the most eloguent of Southern preachers, the slave church soon outgrew its quarters. An immense structure was erected, costing $25,00.00, said to have been the largest in the city. This new church was given over to the use of the slaves and Dr. Giradeau preached to them until the outbreak of the Civil War. The name given to this church was Zion. It stands today as the oldest Negro Pres. Church in the south. There were, in 1860, between twelve and fourteen Negro Pres. Churches in the North. etc.
Shiloh Missionary Bapt.
Defunct since 1928. No information on previous buildings. Built in 1890, dedicated 1890. A rectangular frame building, a belfry on the gable. First settled clergy Charles Green, tenure 1890 - 1894. The church united with Ashley Baptist Church in 1928.
Built in 1911, dedicated 1911. A rectangular frame building, a recessed porch, belfrys on the two front corners, no bell. The interior has a gallery on the sides and front, supported by small pillars. First settled clergy Rev. Bonneau, tenure 1911 - 1913. Educational background: Grammar School.
Centenary Methodist Epis.
Bought building from Wentworth Baptist Church in 1866, for $20,000.00 in gold which amounted to $30,000.00. Built in 1866, dedicated 1866. A very handsome brick church rough cast, a portico supported by four large Corinthian pillars. First settled clergy Rev. Alonzo Webster, D.D., tenure 1864 - 1867. Educational background: Unknown (A member of the Vermont Conference). A brief sketch of Centenary by Rev. W. H. Lawrence, 1883, in the minutes. A History of Centenary by Rev. W. H. Lawrence, Charleston, S.C. 1885. The first colored pastor was Rev. J. E. Wilson. It is thought the church was designed by Robert Mills, but there is no proof of this.
13 Morris Street
This building was bought from the white Lutheran church and was lengthened in 1880 and widened in 1904. Dedicated in 1867, and rebuilt in 1920. A very large rectangular frame building, a recessed porch supported by four large columns. A high gable in front, no belfry or bell. Interior has a porch gallery on three sides, supported bu small round columns. First settled clergy R. H. Cain, tenure 1867 - 1871. Educational background: Private School in Charleston, became Bishop. The church supports a home for old men and women. The home is situated in the rear of the church.
Mural Tablet in Morris Brown AME Church:
In memoriam, our beloved Bishop Rt. Rev. Richard Harvey Cain D.D., born in Sweetbriar County, West Virginia April 28, 1825, died in Washington, DC, January 18, 1887. Servant of Christ, well done. Praise be thy new employ. And while eternal ages run, rest in thy Saviors joy.
In loving remembrance of my beloved husband Bishop M. B. Salters D.D., born February 13, 1840, died March 21, 1913. For he who nobly bears the cross, shall an immortal crown obtain, and well I know my grievous loss, is they great gain.--Erected by his wife.
400 Meeting Street
Built and dedicated in 1875. A very large rectangular frame building, the church is on the second story and the school on the first, a porch across the front supported by four square columns. First settled clergy Rev. Patton, tenure 1875 - 1880. This church conducts a school called Wallingford Academy. In the summer, the three Negro Presbyterian Churches combine and have Bible School which is largely attended.
Presbyterian Church US
93 Beaufain St.
Built and dedicated in 1880. A large rectangular frame building with a porch across the front supported by four large columns. First settled clergy Rev. T. A. Grove, tenure 1880 - 1891.
Israel Reformed Epis.
Built in 1884 and dedicated in 1884. A rectangular frame building, no belfry. First settled clergy Sam Bash, tenure 1887 - 1890. Educational Background: Grammar School, Theological education in Summerville, SC. Sketches of Israel Reformed Episcopal Church by J. L. Deveau, 1935.
St. John's Reformed Epis.
Organized in 1887
First worshipped in an old engine house. Rebuilt in 1919, dedicated in 1919. A rectangular frame building, a belfry on the gable, no bell. First settled clergy Rev. Monday Jefferson, tenure 1887 - 1890.
St. Peter's Reformed Epis.
Built 1895, dedicated 1895. A small rectangular frame building with a porch, a belfry on the gable, no bell. First settled clergy Rev. Jefferson, tenure 1895 - 1900. Educational background: Grammar School.
Refuge Church of Our Lord Jesus Christ, Apostolic Faith
133 Congress Street
Organized February 9, 1926
Bought in 1926 and dedicated 1926. A house ------a church, a small belfry on the gable, no bell. In poor condition. First settled clergy Rev. L. R. Brown, tenure 1926 - 1935. Educational background: Industrial Union Institute and Training School, Southern Pines, N.C. Headquarters in New Year 52 - 56 West 133 Street, Bishop R. C. Lawson. The pastor has a certificate of the church of Our Lord Jesus Christ Apostolic Faith, also a certificate of Ordination signed R. C. Lawson Apostle. They published a paper called "The Contender For the Faith." Practice Divine Healing.
Mark's Protestant Epis.
A rectangular frame building which was pulled down to build a larger chgurch. Rebuilt in 1878, dedicated in 1878. A frame church on a concrete base, colonial style of architecture, 7 pilasters between the windows, a porch across the front supported by 4 corinthian columns. First settled clergy Rev. A Toomer Porter, tenure 1864 - 1865, Educational background: Mt. Zion College, Winnsboro, SC. There are several stained glass memorial windows in the church. The Chancel window was exhibited at the Philadelphia Exhibition in 1876 and bought for St. Marks Church.
Bronze Mural Tablet in St. Marks Protestant Episcopal Church:
To the Glory of God and in loving memory of Florence Lang, born December 16, 1875, died July 9, 1916, "There was in her all that we believe of heaven, amazing brightness, purity and truth. Eternal joy and everlasting love."
Built in 1915 and dedicated 1915. A rectangular frame building, a belfry on the gable, no porch. First settled clergy Rev. S. Brown, tenure 1915 - 1918. Educational background: Grammar School.
Hermon Reformed Methodist Union Epis.
181 Fishburne Street
A rectangular frame building, blown down by storm in 1893. Rebuilt in 1894 and dedicated in 1894. A rectangular frame building, a porch across the front up to the top of building, a gallery on the sides lighted by an upper row of windows, a belfry on the gable, 1 bell. First settled clergy Rev. Richardson, tenure 1884 - 1888. Educational background: Grammar School. RMU split off from AME in 1884. In 1899 changed to Reformed Methodist Union Episcopal.
Hermon Reformed Methodist Union Epis.
179 Fishburne Street
No inscriptions, rectangular frame building 50 X 30, no belfry, porch across the front, the pillars go up to theroof, a gallery on each side, seating capacity 300. Only land church is on, value church and land $1500.00. First settled clergy Jacob Prioleau, tenure 1870 - 1874. Educational background: Very little education. This is a duplicate of the above.
Brown Methodist Epis.
First church was on Ash Street, a small frame building. Rebuilt in 1927, dedicated in 1927. A rectangular frame building, no belfry or bell. First settled clergy, Edwin Washington, tenure 1866 - 1906. Educational background: Grammar School in Baltimore. Headquarters are in Baltimore. Elder R. W. Wright has a printed Elders Credential authorizing him to preach.
Remodeled in 1917 and dedicated 1917. A rectangular frame building, a vestibule built out front which supports the belfry, one bell. First settled clergy Rev. J. Williams, tenure 1891 - 1895, educational background unknown.
117 Calhoun Street
First church was a private home, then a frame building with an upper and lower row of windows, built in 1892. Rebuilt in 1910 and dedicated in 1910. Gothis style of architecture, red brick with whte trimming, a spire, no bell. First settled clergy Rev. R. Hiain, tenure 1865 - 1869. Educational background: In private school in Charleston, became Bishop. This is the oldest Negro Methodist Episcopal Church in South Carolina which was Negro from the beginning.
the following is still
Jordon Missionary Bapt. 52
Lovely Hill Missionary Bapt. 53
St. Jude AME 54
Jerusalem AME 55
Emanuel AME 56
St. Paul AME 57
St. James Bethel AME 59
St. Stephens AME 60
Payne Chapel AME 61
Graham Chapel AME 63
St. James AME 64
Wesley Methodist Epis. 65
Shiloh AME 66
Vanderhorst Memorial Colored Methodist Epis. 71
St. Lukes AME...Wadmalaw Island 72
St. James PCUS 74
Morris Street Bapt. (Missionary Bapt.) 77
Calvary Bapt. 78
Pilgrim Bapt. 79
Mt. Moriah Bapt. 80
Jerusalem Bapt. 82
Mt. Olive Bapt. 83
First Bapt. Negro Missionary Bapt. 85
James Island Bapt. 86
Oak Grove Bapt. 88
Holy Trinity Reformed Epis. 90
St. Luke's Negro Reformed Epis. 94
Fourth Bapt. Missionary Bapt. 98
Wesley Church Methodist Epis. 99
Bethel Meth. Epis. 100
Bethel AME 101
St. Peter's Roman Catholic 118
Green Chapel Bapt. 121
St. Stephen's Chapel Protestant Epis. 130
Tibwin AME 136
Bethel AME...McClellanville 137
St. James AME 138
Union AME...Awendaw Village 139
Johnson Chapel AME 145
Lively Mountain Bapt. 146
Jerusalem Bapt. 147
Ashley Bapt. 148
Trinity Colored Methodist Epis. 149
Web Author: EE Vaughn
Copyright ©1999 by Pastense2 - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED